Thursday, 22 March 2012

Documentary ideas

After being given the documentary assignment for Liverpool, I looked around online for inspiration, searching news websites for articles related to Liverpool in the hope I'd find something particularly good.
Luckily, I'd just read an article about Liverpool being European City of Culture in 2008, and I came across an article with figures showing Liverpool to be England's most deprived district, and I thought it was an interesting contrast and could make for a good documentary. A picture in a related article caught my attention, too, showing a row of boarded-up houses, which I thought would give a good visual contrast with other areas of Liverpool.

A few days after we were given the brief, myself, Sam (director) and Jacob (producer) sat down and shared our ideas, and we decided to combine my idea of contrasting deprived areas with 'nicer' areas with Sam's idea of a poetic documentary.

I suggested Edge Lane (where the photo that inspired me was taken) as a place to look into filming, and Jacob took screenshots of areas on Google Street View, including areas such as Liverpool 1 and Edge Lane. Sam put together a pitch, which we presented to the group, and before long we were out in Liverpool filming.

No comments:

Post a Comment