Monday, 13 February 2012

Learning about experimental film

Prior to reading about and watching examples of the experimental approach, I assumed that experimental films were generally composed of disjointed editing and atonal sound; neither of which typically offer an enjoyable viewing experience. I was aware of the basic principles of this type of film-making, largely because the title 'experimental' film suggests a non-conformist approach... However, having seen only a handful of examples, my idea of experimental film was fairly narrow.

We watched a number of experimental films in a seminar, including 'Ballet Mécanique' by Fernard Léger and Dudley Murphy, 'Om' by John Smith and the music video to The Chemical Brothers' 'Star Guitar' by Michel Gondry.

The contrast between these three films helped me realise how diverse the experimental film genre is - 'Ballet Mécanique' relies heavily on repetition and abstraction, 'Om' humorously plays on audience preconceptions, and 'Star Guitar' is reminiscent of the composograph, allowing the music to dictate the picture, contrary to the conventional approach to film.

I can appreciate that 'Ballet Mécanique' is significant in being one of the first experimental films, and that at the time of its release, it was technically innovative. It was released in the same era as the Surrealist movement, and a time in which cinema was perhaps still finding its feet as a medium. However, watching the film around 87 years after its release, I struggled to connect with the film. While I appreciate the principles of experimental film, and understand its potential to help develop new techniques or approaches to mainstream cinema, my approach to film - as a viewer and a film-maker - is that a film should entertain its audience, whether through provoking thoughts, using humour, or any other method. This isn't to say that an experimental approach can't do this, but I find that using such an approach in a more conventional context has more impact on its audiences - 'Om' made me more aware of how film-makers are able to manipulate audiences through its humourous twist than 'Ballet Mécanique' made me aware of the shape and form of objects we would ordinarily find mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment